The Sanctuary and Its Vessels
The dimensions of the Sanctuary is not explicitly mentioned in the Torah, however it can be deduced if you have already determined the over all dimensions of the Mishkan and subtracted the area used for the Holy of Holies. Inside the Sanctuary was the Menorah, Table, and Golden Altar.
Begin by reading Shemot 26 psukim 31-35. If you need a translation you can try Chabad.org or Mechon-Mamre.org.
Begin by reviewing the overall dimensions of the Mishkan and the area set aside for the Holy of Holies.
- What is the area of the sanctuary?
- What are the dimensions of the table? How wide was it? How long was it? (chapter 25 verse 23)
- Did the table have poles for carrying it? (chapter 25 26-28)
- The Menorah is described in chapter 25 verses 31-40, is the width or length described?
- How did Moshe know what the Menorah should look like? (see Rashi chapter 25 verse 40)
- What does the Torah tell us about the location of the table and the Menorah? (chapter 26 verse 35)
- What were the dimensions of the Inner Altar? How wide was it? How long was it? (chapter 30 verse 2)
- Did the Inner Altar have poles? (chapter 30 verse 4)
- What does the Torah tell us about the location of the Inner Altar? (chapter 30 verse 6 and see Rashi)
Please click here to download the question sheet.
For images and diagrams of the Sanctuary and its vessels click below.
Diagram of Sanctuary 01
Diagram of Sanctuary 02 (note the the placement of the Inner Altar - see question nine)
Image of Sanctuary 01
Image of Sanctuary 02
Diagram of Menorah 01
Image of Menorah From arch of titus
Image of Menorah (According to Rambam - Diagonal)
Diagram of Lower Part of Table
Image of Table 01
Image of Table 02
Image of Inner Altar 01
Image of Inner Altar 02